Disclosure | Energy Storage Feeds

This forum is for posting any information concerning electric cars.

The first such post is this

BASF starts electric car battery materials production in Elyria

Views: 23639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those are good questions about how long gasoline cars can continue to dominate the roads. But they aren't really consumer problems that need to be solved. Not for the next decade at least. 

Nah Y_Po,

You are the same special and unique dipstick you have always been...anyways, he is banned :-)

He also talks more sense than you.  But keep up with the meds and you never know, perhaps someday someone will think you are him.

kind regards

ei

John,

I am watching the fraking and tight oil plays very closely, but at this stage I think we could drop off the conventional oil platform we have been on since 2005 of 73-76 million bbls per day, in Q4 2013.  If that happens we will likely have price issues and demand destruction as early as late 2014.

Could be wrong of course :-)

kind regards

ei

John Smith said:

Those are good questions about how long gasoline cars can continue to dominate the roads. But they aren't really consumer problems that need to be solved. Not for the next decade at least. 

Consumers are idiots (that's not to say the rest of the idiots are not idiots)

John Smith said:

John Smith said:

No, for once Y_Po is entirely correct.

If you think that the rising cost of oil/gasoline/diesel isn't a problem for the average consumer, then you're burying your head in the sand. The rising price of petroleum will cause the gas guzzler to be replaced by the electric vehicle, just as surely as the rising price of whale oil caused its replacement by the petroleum industry.

And just because Western society has come to accept the major public health hazard caused by tailpipe emissions from gas guzzlers, doesn't mean it's "not a problem". As EVs become more common, there will be increasing focus on that problem, and decreasing tolerance for it. Just as banning cigarette smoking from public places has lead to decreased tolerance for it in private places. Our grandchildren will be amazed that we allowed private citizens to drive on public roads in vehicles that spewed out massive amounts of toxic gasses and carcinogenic chemicals that people in cars behind them were forced to breathe!

Lensman said:

Our grandchildren will be amazed that we allowed private citizens to drive on public roads in vehicles that spewed out massive amounts of toxic gasses and carcinogenic chemicals that people in cars behind them were forced to breathe!

Po is right and Lens is dead right above.   (And they will be also be severely disappointed with our inaction on climate).   

EESU or no EESU.... my grand kids won't know what it means to put gas in a car.

You may be right. Who knows. Myself, I always hesitate to foretell the future. The main thing I have learned from the past is that no one has a crystal ball that lets them see the future. 

Myself, even though I have an electric car startup venture, I'm not so sure about their future. As Fibbs's article says:

“The gasoline fuel tank is a pretty phenomenal storage device for energy,” says Brett Smith, an industry analyst with the Center for Automotive Research. “The battery may never really compare, at least not in the next 20 years.”

Until and unless AHBL occurs soon :-)

John Smith said:

You may be right. Who knows. Myself, I always hesitate to foretell the future. The main thing I have learned from the past is that no one has a crystal ball that lets them see the future. 

Myself, even though I have an electric car startup venture, I'm not so sure about their future. As Fibbs's article says:

“The gasoline fuel tank is a pretty phenomenal storage device for energy,” says Brett Smith, an industry analyst with the Center for Automotive Research. “The battery may never really compare, at least not in the next 20 years.”

John Smith said:

I certainly agree that we can't forecast the timing of when the EV revolution will be complete... of just how many years it will be before EVs outsell gas guzzlers. It may indeed take 20-25 years, altho I'm hoping for something like 15. But I don't think anything will be able to compete with the EV once the problem of electricity storage is solved. The electric motor is so much more efficient, simpler to make, and easier/cheaper to maintain than any alternative; how could anything else compete?

And once drivers have experienced the "fringe benefits" of EVs, such as whisper-quiet, vibration-free, smooth ride; lack of noxious fumes; instant powerful response to pressing the accelerator, even after a complete stop; and being able to "fill up" at home... how many will want to go back to driving a gas guzzler? Only diesel-sniffers like Tec!

Lensman wrote:
just because Western society has come to accept the major public health hazard caused by tailpipe[EV tire] emissions from gas guzzlers[EVs], doesn't mean it's "not a problem". As EVs become more common, there will be increasing focus on that problem, and decreasing tolerance for it. Just as banning cigarette smoking from public places has lead to decreased tolerance for it in private places. Our grandchildren will be amazed that we allowed private citizens to drive on public roads in [electric] vehicles that spewed out massive amounts of toxic [particulate and] gasses and carcinogenic chemicals [from their EV tires] that people in cars behind them were forced to breathe!

Fixed for you.

Airborne tire particles do not constitute a public health hazard. Period. The worst you can say is that inhaling them might cause an allergic reaction in someone with a latex allergy, altho I don't think any study has ever demonstrated this.

Not quite up there with breathing gasoline/diesel fumes full carbon monoxide, and inhaling a stew of chemicals that cause lung cancer, emphysema and other life-shortening, chronic respiratory conditions, is it?

What is it with the diesel-sniffers and their fantasies about toast fumes and tire particles? Seems that breathing diesel fumes causes delusions.

Where's the studies that compare tire wear of an EV to that if a regular car?

How about including the tire wear of bringing the fuel to the gas station, after all if its a function of weight, a huge tanker truck releases alot more than a car.

Or how about the release of brake dust from a normal car that is mostly mitagated with regenerative braking in an EV. Brakes release 12 mg PM10/ mile, cut that by 1/4 to 1/8 for an EV or hybrid with regen.

Whats the hard number for how long the tires wear out on an EV compared to a regular car? Then tack on tanker tire wear then tack on brake dust. Then see which one comes out aheas

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by B.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service