News, Reviews & Discussion of EEStor Inc.
Embrace the chaos.
Whatever the reason - and I suspect we do not have the full truth of it - it would appear that
1. A number of folk have taken the opportunity to not bother with this site any more
2. Activity from those that HAVE stayed on is dramatically down.
Can't really call it a success can you.
Tecnew, it may not be a success now, but keep your complaints up and I'm sure it will be eventually. Except I think you'll be banned first.
Rats, no subscripts, either. :-(
Well, WoD, I think we've reached the stage where the site needs me more than I need the site.
Non-events are interesting only up to a point...
Some initial thoughts:
1) Ning has a higher latency.
2) Ning shows far fewer topics in the forum section per page and fewer posts per page. The extra information provided on the forum list is nice, but perhaps there should be an option to turn it off. A single click on the forum list, for instance, could bring up the short blurb, while a double click could pass through to the discussion.
3) Ning does not as clearly separate posts.
4) There is a decrease in conversation linearity due extra reply options on Ning (also no auto-attribution of quotes). On the flip-side, this setup will possibly reduce Eenigma-style spamming via quotes.
5) No central file repository.
6) Reduced search functionality.
The above factors impede ease of use (important for web page "stickiness"). This implies a decrease in web traffic from the current audience. I would guess this will eventually show up in the stats.
The reduced topics per page in the forum section, in particular, could reduce participation in the threads.
7) There are additional interaction/expression options. More community-like, perhaps?
This combined with the previous factors could tend to shift the focus of the site from a discussion-oriented site to a socially-oriented site; perhaps attracting a different audience.
8) The lack of a time stamp bites.
Is there anything happening in chat? If there is I can't see it at all.
The new site bites. Plain and simple must have been to expensive to maintain the old site. Now all the old posts are gone. I can't see to even connect to the old site. A step backwards. I don't know if this site is even worth posting to...
Can you at least invert the posts so the latest ones show up in the top of the stack instead of ten pages in? Yeah I know the old site was like this but it was a PIA on the old site as well. Now it's just plain annoying.
Industry Applications--Consumer Electronics
etc and so on
The new site's response time is poor, making it almost unusable for me. What is the outlook for improvement? ("ning is not responding due to a long running script")
Also please consider adjusting the chat page layout. Make some of the other windows and make the chat box wider.
still seems to work
As far as new posts, the old site would let you see the latest unread by clicking on the date. This site will supposedly take you to the latest post by clicking on "last reply by..". It sometime works and some times doesn't. That won't give you all the latest posts though, just the most recent one. To see them all there is no choice but to re-read everything.
The current site seems to have some sort of odd caching as well. Some times you need a second refresh to see the new post. And sometime they don't show up for a dog's age. Currently there is supposedly a post made by TP more than a quarter of an hour ago that simply does not show up.
Also it appears the default setting for the site is to spam you every time someone posts to a thread you posted to. Took me a while to find out where to turn that misfeature off.
("ning is not responding due to a long running script")...Same here..:(